Headed out to fish for the KING of anadromous fish? Here is a short list of our top choices at the Gorge Fly Shop for Spey rods when targeting Chinook salmon. If I were your Caddy, these are the rods that I would put in your travel bag. There are lots of choices out there, but these are definitely the ones that are up for the job. These are the ones that can throw the heavy heads and sink tips that are sometimes required to be successful.
Requirements that make these rods our favorites are as follows, the rod must turn over your heavy sink tips and flies with ease, the rod must create tight loops and generate high line speed to cut through wind and provide distance where needed and the rod must handle and fight fish well. Rods which make the list below are in no particular order.
NOTE: To avoid repetition of recommended sink tips for the following rods, all rods listed below are more than capable of handling the same sink tips listed here:
G.Loomis NRX+ 9133 (13’3” 9wt):
- RIO M.O.W. Tips: 10-12.5’ of T-11 (Medium), T-14 (Heavy), T-17 (Ext. Heavy) in.
- AIRFLO Custom Cut Tips: 10-12’ of T-10 to T-18
- AIRFLO FLO Tips: 10-12’ of T-10 to T-18
Winston Air TH 9129-4 (12’9” 9wt):
- Skagit Line Match: RIO Skagit Max Launch 650gr, RIO Skagit GameChanger 625gr (there are 3D and 4D versions depending on your needs). Airflo Skagit Driver 660gr, Airflo F.I.S.T. 600-660gr
Sage Igniter 9119-4 (11’9” 9wt):
- Skagit Line Match: RIO Skagit Max Power (Short Head) 600-625gr, RIO Skagit Max Launch 600-625gr, RIO Skagit GameChanger 600gr. Airflo Skagit Driver 600-630gr, Airflo F.I.S.T. 600gr.
Echo King 9130-4 (13’ 9wt): Great Back Up Rod
- Skagit Line Match: RIO Skagit Max Power 600gr, RIO Skagit Max Launch 575gr, RIO Skagit GameChanger 575gr. Airflo Skagit Driver 570-600gr, Airflo F.I.S.T. 570gr.
Echo King 10130-4 (13’ 10wt): Great Back Up Rod
- Skagit Line Match: RIO Skagit Max Launch 650gr, RIO Skagit GameChanger 650gr (there are 3D and 4D versions depending on your needs), Airflo Skagit Driver 660gr, Airflo F.I.S.T. 660gr
NOTE: These are just short quick descriptions of each rod. Here at the Gorge Fly Shop we love to talk about rods and we would love to talk with you more in depth about them. Give the Gorge Fly Shop a call at 541-386-6977 and let us help you get dialed for your next KING trip.
- Skagit Line Match: RIO Skagit Max Launch 750gr, RIO Skagit GameChanger 725gr (there are 3D and 4D versions depending on your needs), Airflo Skagit Driver 750gr, Airflo F.I.S.T. 720gr