- Equipped with four magnets, each generating 95-pounds of holding force.
- Magnets adhere to steel only – Check your car with a refrigerator magnet.
- Each magnet mount is 3.25″ / 83mm in diameter.
- Magnets are equipped with silicone boots to protect your car’s surface.
Adaptability and Leveling
- Ball and socket connections and vertical pivots provide unequaled flexibility to mount to any passenger vehicle.
- An additional ball and socket connection in the rod rest allows rods to always be level.
- SUMO’s unique ball and socket connections provide unsurpassed mounting capabilities.
- Ball and sockets allow SUMO to mount to more cars in more places than any other product in its category.
- Ball and sockets allow SUMO to be positioned out of the line of direct sight for driver and passengers – you can see where you’re going.
- The ability to mount SUMO close to the edge means easier use – you won’t have to lean way over or stand on your toes.
- The connection at the rod rest adjusts so your rods are level and maximum contact for support of your rods.
- Double security straps that "lock” your rods into place.
- Double straps maintain firm yet gentle pressure on your rods – cushioned by the foam pads – preventing side movement.
- Pull-rings engage with retention notches to keep your rods firmly in place.
- Lightweight and disassembles quickly for easy transport.
- Another cool feature – SUMO can break down for easy transport and storage.
- Take SUMO on your next fishing adventure and spend more time fishing and less time rigging up and breaking down your rods.
- Suction Mounts can be interchanged with Magnet Mounts for cars with steel hoods and roofs. Magnet Mounts are sold separately.
- Another exclusive of SUMO is the ability to use any combination of suction or magnet mounts. To switch out the mounts, remove the bolt, insert mount and replace bolt.
- There are advantages to both suction and magnet dependent on a few variables.
Suction or Magnet?
- Want the most powerful adhesion? Suction mounts are the way to go. Suction Mounts produce much higher holding force than magnets!
There is no "better” system as both types have advantages and disadvantages. There is however a few factors that are important. You should consider how you are going to use the SUMO to help in making a decision:
- If you are going to drive above 45 mph then you want the suction mounts.
- If you are using the SUMO in really rainy conditions a lot and NOT going to drive above 45 mph AND you remove the SUMO from your vehicle when parked while fishing, magnets may be a better choice.
- SUMO suction and magnet mounts are interchangeable and sold separately so you can use any combination for best results.
- Magnets will only adhere to steel surfaces (check your hood and roof with a refrigerator magnet to find out).
- Magnets are less sensitive to temperature, dust and water on the car’s surface.
- Magnets will work in extremely cold temperatures.
- Magnets require flat surfaces for optimum adhesion.
- Suction mounts can adhere to any smooth and non-porous surface making them more versatile than magnets.
- Properly used, suction mounts provide vastly superior adhesion and can withstand much higher speeds, crosswinds and really rough "roads”.
- Suction mounts can adhere to slightly curved surfaces.
- Suction mounts are more sensitive to cold temperatures and wet and dirty surfaces. Really cold, wet and dirty surfaces can inhibit adhesion.
General Guidelines For Determining Which Mounting Method Is Best For You* Are you a winter or fair-weather angler? Does your car have a steel roof and hood? Do you want to mount to the sunroof or windshield? Do you intend to take your SUMO on airlines? What type of fishing do you do? Are you driving from hole to hole or do you drive from home to your destination? Suction mounts when properly used provide more holding power than magnets.
RODMOUNTS has attempted to make SUMO the best rod carrier for outside of cars that does not require mounting to a roof rack. And short of drilling into your hood and roof and bolting something down, SUMO is a great way to transport your rods rigged and ready to fish in a quick and convenient way.
*RODMOUNTS does not make specific recommendations as to which type of mount is best for your situation. It is the user’s responsibility to determine which mounting method is best suited for them.
International Customers, Please Note the following:
Due to the high cost of International shipping a $35.00 additional shipping surcharge will be added to every set of Sumo Rod Mounts shipped outside the USA.